Tuesday, August 29, 2006

The Montgomery County Fair

I was first introduced to the fair last summer. I had been to a couple of state fairs when I was younger, but this was a new experience for me. A member of my knitting group helps run the home arts section of the fair and wanted us not only to enter things in the competition, but also to volunteer at the fair to act as guides and do “demonstration knitting.” She stressed that they wanted entries both good and bad. Even if you thought something wasn’t your best effort, enter it. That way maybe someone else would see it, think they could make something as good or better and maybe they would enter the next year. So I downloaded the fair catalog, entered some stuff and my obsession began.

The MoCo Fair is divided into two parts: the fair, and the carnival. Don’t mix the two up. Both are on the fair grounds, but the fair has real farm animals raised by kids in 4H
fair1
the carnival has freak show with a two headed cat.
fair3

I don’t raise any animals that can be entered at the fair (apparently Kitty does count) and so I entered my knitting instead. This year I won a grand champion badge WooHoo!
Mo Co Fair 2006
for best men’s sweater
I also won The William F. Smith Award for the Best Entry Men’s Sleeveless Sweater
Dad's Vest
Both are sweaters I made for my father.

All told I won 5 first place ribbons, 6 second place ribbons and 2 fourth place ones. Yay!

Here is my sweater on display and my friend’s champion shawl is there too.
Mo Co Fair 2006
Here we are knitting at the fair. Yes that is the lovely Laura sitting next to me. BTW I need to thank Laura for the fair photos. As per usual with me, I brought my camera, but didn’t take many pictures.
snb1

4 Comments:

At 5:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Worst photos ever.

 
At 5:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
If you please, may you tell me if you will be able to knit for me a sweater, same you did for your father, the brown sleeveless sweater irish style, my size is xxl,and the price for it .
Your work is gorgeous.
My adress:
thierryquenette@yahoo.fr
Best regards,
6218thierry

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Knitting by Leah said...

Do you plan on putting more of your knitting into this year's County Fair for show?

 
At 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
If you please, will be able to knit for me a sleeveless sweater, the same you did for your father, but in natural skin ton. sleeveless sweater irish style, my size is xl,and the price for it .
pleas
adress: aatraiberg@yahoo.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home